Friday, June 17, 2016

Sound of Silence

What trouble looks like.
Yes, my house is definitely full of silence once again. My mom and grandma came for a visit, which thankfully kept me distracted after saying goodbye to my beautiful Vegas. I was pretty darn tore up about watching her leave my house on a foreign trailer, and it didn't help watching others ride in the Karen O'Conner clinic and ride in my favorite event derby while I sat on the sidelines with a broken Bacon. I so look forward to every visit with all family members. My mom and grandma really make things fun around here and I needed some fun in my life.
PUT THE FOOD HERE
They had the same hair.
The very freindly zorse
First things first was a visit to a local zoo/farm. It was our first trip there, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting to want to take home a camel. It was a clean and nice place, only having opened last year and still expanding and working on things. They had more goaties, ponies, a zonkey (who's special admirer was a mini donk named Lord Farquad) a zorse, zebra, several smaller large cat species, a bear cat, kangaroos and wallabies, plus CAMELS.
Kisses! 
GODDAMNIT CURLY. BACK OFF YOU ASSHOLE. He says.
Curly and Mo were bickering brothers looking for attention. Larry was sectioned off because he has been having some "emotional issues". Curly would bite a chunk of hair off of Mo, mode would scream like a dinosaur, and Curly would eat it. I gave the boys some attention, and Mo wanted all of it.
DIS MY HOOMAN
I would like a camel. Please.
I also got to go in the roo and wallaby pen, and held hands with them, as well as fed them. It was pretty awesome, but at 100 degrees out, it was time to go back home. After a stop at Sonic for a frozen mango limeade.
Sexy pose
Feed a roo

And holding hands! With what looks like a giant suspicious rabbit.
The next day, we drove up to my favorite Sawtooth Mountains for a hike. We picked a new trail, the Alpine Creek Trail, and headed out. Right from the get go, a tiny wasp shimmied up my pants and stung me on the knee three times. He died. Shortly in, my mom had to turn around due to her poor health (emphysema, A1ATD, COPD, etc). She took the keys and slept in the car the whole time we were out :( It was good she turned in so early though, as the trail toughened up a bit as we continued. At first, I wasn't too sure on our trail choice. We had to climb over downed trees, and up steep paths, which was hard for me and my grandma. After about 1.5 miles in, we reached a valley and opening in the forest, and were surrounded by incredible views. Ok, maybe it was worth it.
Over the river and through the woods.
Into the unknown we go! 
Stupid smudge on my lens. But look at that fancy grandma.
The boys climbed up a steep hill next to us as grandma and I oogled at the views. We could hear the creek, and the boys got a good view of it from on top of the hill. They said it was all white water. For some reason, that excited us, and continued the hike to find that damn creek. It teased as you walked closer, then away, then closer, and finally, the end of the trail met with the creek. It was high water, flowing fast from all of the melting snow in the mountains. There were waterfalls falling down the mountain side, and we ate our lunch totally thrilled. On our way back, grandma fell off of a downed tree onto a rock, and cut her hand open. I had a first aid kit (with no neosporin, what the hell), tried to wrap it up, and continued back. My legs and lungs were pretty tired at this point, even with some hydrocodone and my inhaler on board. And I pulled a tick off of my neck. Goddamn ticks. We made it back and completed the 6 miles, and headed towards Redfish Lake to take a couple of pictures with mom and show her some fun scenery. Oh, and I caught a snake!
Damnit boys, get back here!
Snow fight
So awesome.
We found it!
Mountain runoff
Grandma with a wounded hand. She is a warrior.
Wild flowers were popping up everywhere.
And we spotted sasquatch. Best part? He didn't even pose. That was his walk.
My snake, Gladys!
Redfish Lake
We also went to our old Idaho Penitentiary for some prison fun. It is quite historical, with lots of fun learning and lots of hope that you never end up at a place like that. Well, at least not ending up back into a prison (I'm looking at you, mother).
Going in
No thanks.
Still no
A bucket of fun
The gallows.
Too happy for prison life.
Fly pie
Seems fitting.
Of course, we also had to ride the ponies. After mom fell off of Pandora attempting to jump her over the world's tiniest xr the last time (2014), she was determined to try again. Pandora was wild on the lunge as I saddled up Bacon for the first time since our last ride right after her injection. When I hopped on Bacon, I was so happy. No hint of ouch anywhere. She wasn't on her forehand like the last ride, and comfortably wtc both directions. I hopped off and saddled up Pandora and tried to coach mom as I rode Bacon next to her. Pandora decided that she didn't really want to work and gave my mom a really hard time. I hopped on the little ho and made her GO FORWARD and over the little jump. She was quite sticky, but going. I handed her back to mom, she turned back into a ho, and I went and grabbed Mr. Tappy Sparkles. Pandora had a come to Jesus with the tapper, and did all the forward. She hated it. But listened.
Come on Pandora. We got this.
Sexy Bacon.
Can you tell she is a reiner?
Still arguing with the brat.
My brother was begging to get on Bacon. I can't remember the last time he was on a horse, but it was probably 12 years ago. Or more. Bacon was being so good, so I allowed it. Normally I don't let anyone ride her, especially a novice, but she was a very good girl for him. He had fun, which made me happy too, and they cruised around the tiny arena. My mom was super bummed that she didn't get to jump Pandora, but I told her she could hop on Bacon and walk over it. My mom was tickled pink to be sitting up on her, and terrified, aimed her at the jump. The first time, she looked down and squiggled to it, so Bacon stepped a little awkward and got the pole stuck between her back legs. It tripped her up, but she just continued on after, and they re approached after a little more coaching. The next time around, mom looked where she wanted to go and steered her straight. Over they went! Mom was super happy. She did it a couple more times, then got off and gave Bacon some love.
Um, mom. Who is this?
A humbled Pandora.
Tee hee
Go mom and Bacon!
Grandma couldn't leave the Goose alone. 
They got to play too!
We had a wonderful visit. I just wish they lived closer. I am always so sad to see them go, because I never know when I will get to see them again. It has been like that since 1998, and I can't seem to grow up and hold my tears every time they leave. Especially with my mom's health and her current vices, I worry about her time with us. She cannot get a lung transplant, and that is really sad. Grandma is now 67, but doing pretty dang well so far. She is all alone in her house now, though, and I worry about her getting lonely. If she moved up here, she wouldn't have to be. Plus, they could escape that 112 degree weather in Arizona. Whatever happens, at least I have another memory to add to all of the others.
A pretty spiffy family

14 comments:

  1. What a fun visit! The trail pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAMELS ARE AWESOME!!! I once met a camel I wanted to take home, too. Those trails are gorgeous and I am so glad you had a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teeny tiny Pandora next to Bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous pictures - what an awesome visit!! your family always sounds so wonderful :D also i love the pics of everyone riding all the horses, esp the one of a humbled Pandora with you holding Mr Tappy Sparkles nearby just in case lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in such a beautiful area! Glad your visit was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you got to play ponies woth the family & had such a great time, hiking, at the farm & at the penitentiary -what a fun filled vaycay.

    Zorses & zonkeys sou D adorbs!!!! And the camels etc are all class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a fun visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys packed a lot in! It looks like fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you had such a wonderful visit. Pandora is the cutest thing, omg.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a bunch of great pictures! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit, glad your family was able to help keep you distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, can I come visit you and hike to all the beautiful places and pet camels?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun day, but so hard to see your family leave

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love spending time with my family, and am so blessed to have them live so close. Looks like you all had tons of fun -- the zoo, the hike, the ponies. So many great memories <3

    ReplyDelete